Saturday, January 15, 2005

broken stuff




Posted by Hello

My favorite album title of all time is by a band that I actually don't really think I know much by. And what I've heard leaves little impression. The band is Piebald. The title?
"If it weren't for venitian blinds it would be curtains for us all"
I mention this for no reason. It just makes me laugh everytime. Been spending the last few days alienating my girlfriend and dog. I've had my head so deep in playing music that it's been hard to do anything other than eat or sleep. I'm getting frustrated with the lack of equipment that I have. I have never owned a recording device of any sort. Well, I had a hand held tape recorder and 2 years ago I bought a barely working cassette 4 track. I've never owned a drumset or had one in my possession for more than a couple of days. I don't own a bass or bass amp. No PA. One guitar amp that's currently broken. I think it's the fuse. And the reverb box is shattered into pieces. I own a Ephiphone ES335 reissue that's marginal at best. 2 broken guitars, a 1985 Washburn (useless when working) and 1989 Fender Strat that's usable for a beginner, I guess. I also have a beautiful nylon acoustic/electric bought for me by Jose Ayerve (www.joseayerve.com) in Argentina. A 1972 Yamaha box steel string and a Samick acoustic that's kind of a beater but I still use it from time to time. But that's sad to me. I've been playing music for 20 years and that's all I have. Broken shit. I need to record my next record. I want to do it myself and right now, I can't. Why? Priorities are completely fucked up on most days. I spend 75 dollars on books, 100 dollars on movies and nothing on music equipment. Well, maybe I buy a set of strings. I need to stop. I need to buy recording gear. I'm using this rant as a motivator. I'm going to go look up recorders right now. Goddammit.

No comments: