Thursday, October 13, 2005

this exhausting month


This is Tom Campbell (Jen's Dad) and I embracing this past Sunday night at the Apollo Grill in Easthampton. I don't know at which point of the night it was but I think this picture beautifully sums up the evening. Thanks to everyone who helped us raise over $7,000 for the Miguel Ayerve Scholarship Foundation. It was a night I'll never forget.
Since I still can't get my head around how wonderful the entire evening was I figured I'd write another random-ish thoughts thingy. Sound good? No? Tough shit.
1) I have a new pet peeve. Though this one reaches deeper than just chewing with your mouth open. I'm really sick of people asking me

"How the store is going?"

when they 1) rarely come in to support it in any way and 2) are people that I've met through music in some fashion. My answer to that question is always the same.

"Pretty good, slow and steady...but steady."

I wonder if this statement is keeping people that I know out of here. Maybe they're thinking

"Oh, cool...he's fine. He doesn't need my help."

Which couldn't be further from the truth. This calendar year has been really bad for us. Don't worry though, we're not going anywhere. We're too stubborn. We're down from last year but our store is more filled with stuff than ever. What am I trying to say? Well, I guess I'm trying to say that the next time you get the urge to ask me how our business is doing just squelch it and substitute it with the idea of stopping by sometime soon and spending 10 bucks. Is that too much to ask?
2) The new Winterpills CD is amazing. I already know that it will be on my top 10 list for 2005.
3) Things I bought yesterday:
PETCO
45 Holyoke St.
Holyoke, MA 01040
413-539-9197

Description Price
DC-MD PUDDLES RAIN $9.99
FCY-BEAGLES-POPULA $8.99
BDA-LG TERRY COW $7.99
TFH-REGULAR PORK C $3.99
AXX-QUICK TAG PET $7.00
Sub Total $37.96
Tax $1.45
Final Total $39.41

Barnes and Noble Bookseller
7 Holyoke St.
Hoyoke, MA 01040
413-532-3200


DOUBLE
9780156032582 $14.00
Sub Total $14.00
Tax $0.70
TOTAL $14.70

That's one raincoat for Scooter, a pork chop Nylabone, a stuffed cow toy, Beagles Magazine(for....err, Scooter...yeah, that's it) and a new name tag for the little man. "Double" is actually "The Double" by Jose Saramago. I also bought 1 pack Camel Lights Box. 2 rolls of HALLS coughdrops. I have no fucking idea why I'm telling anyone this. Oh wait, yes I do. It's because my ego is so fragile that I must let everyone know that I know how to read and dress my dog up in weird outfits. Not sure how that's gonna help my ego. Come to think of it, it should probably get me arrested.
4) I love rainy days. But this is ridiculous.
5) I posted a new song on here. It kinda sounds like crap. I think it has something to do with my less than stellar mp3 burner. It's a tribute song to Elliott Smith called "Forever Every Evening". I promise it will sound better on my next record. Which I keep pushing back the release date for. It now looks like the end of the year. I don't know. Money sucks. Guess I should return Scooter's raincoat. Here's some shows I've got coming up:
Tuesday, October 18th at the Bishop's Lounge with Carter Little and Dennis Crommett 9PM
Friday, October 28th at the Iron Horse with the Stone Coyotes. 10PM
Saturday, December 3rd at the Basement with Dennis Crommett. 10PM

6) Check out The Moves (no, not that all-female punk band...I loved them)and their great video for "Straight Outta Hadley". Too funny. We've got their new CD/DVD here.
7) This week, both the Batman Begins DVD and this amazing baseball CD boxset get released. So much for saving money for mastering. That's right. In this DIY world that I live in it must be good to know that if you like my music at all you have to wait even longer to hear it because my 33 year old ass has to get a Batman DVD and a baseball CD...jesus.
8) The Red Sox are eliminated from the 2005 playoffs. Bringing this magical and drunken championship ride of 2004 to an end. We only die once; but for such a long time.
9) October 9th's benefit, let alone my life, would not be possible without the hard work and huge heart of this person. My hero.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

the benefit was amazing. thanks so much for that. i'm so glad i was able to attend!
xoxo,
matthew

Anonymous said...

Ack! Dude, comment spam!

I'm looking forward to the new record, whenever it may happen to come out. And I trust you have copies of the Winterpills CD at your store. I'll be in soon to pick up a copy.

Anonymous said...

October 9 was an amazing night, and everyone knew it as it was happening, that they were part of something special.

I don't think I go into your store as often as I would like to, although I will usually have someone else (with more time on his hands ;) ) make my CD purchases at Night Owl for me. Having said all that, you are so right, I think that people need to support local businesses that are part of the pulse of a downtown.

If we don't, who will?

All things going as planned, we'll be in tonight to make some purchases.