Thursday, December 23, 2010

Shiny pictures for the Holidays


The Town? Highly recommended. I am shocked that Affleck can step away from his usual hideousness long enough to direct and star in this throwback, inner-city thriller in the vein of 1990's widely ignored State of Grace. Sure, it's silly. And most certainly not flawless. But for those of you longing for this genre to make a comeback (I really thought that 2007's We Own the Night was going to do just that, but nope) let's hope that this can kick start a whole new batch of smart, tough thrillers. And no, I don't want to hear anyone ask "What about The Departed?". If you need to ask that then you need to go back and listen to Nicholson's magical Boston accent. And by magical I mean that it keeps disappearing and reappearing like some sort of Copperfield cast off. Which was one of its very many unappealing aspects. As a matter of fact, Alec Baldwin was the only person that justified my admission.

If nothing else, The Town should at least allow us to see more of Jeremy Renner (whose break out party was in the Oscar nominated The Hurt Locker back in '08). Renner should not only get more work, but if he doesn't get a best supporting nod for his role in The Town then heads should roll. And he should be in charge of rolling them. His character means even more to us folk from Western Massachusetts that have met this guy in real life, a few too many times.

It's seems like it has been a few years (yep, it has) since there has been a ration of films out at the same time that actually appeal to me. Excited to see The Fighter, True Grit (great poster!), Black Swan (my great friends Niko Tavernise and Rob Connelly worked on this!), The Inside Job and The King's Speech.

I'll let you know how I feel about them one by one. Well, if Santa brings me that gift certificate that he usually brings me.

No comments: