Thursday, December 30, 2004

2004

The last few days have been pretty peaceful. Sort of like the eye of the storm. The chaos of the Christmas season at the store (www.nightowlrecords.net) and the bar (The Brass Cat) died down and next week begins a new year of many shows and many responsibilities. Jen and I got to spend some great time together recently. We went to see the new Wes Anderson movie on Tuesday. It was great. Either you like his films or you don't. I do. Last night was a wonderful night of hanging on the couch and talking/eating/knitting/reading/more talking. Much needed. This morning was kinda creepy though, I was pulled from sleep by Jen and Scooter. She told me to hug my dog. I was wondering why she would tell me this, since it's more like a reflex for me to do so and not something that usually needs instigating. Then she was in tears telling me a story about how Scoot got off his leash on his morning walk and walked about 25 feet out onto the pond near our house. She thought for sure that he was going to fall through the thin ice. Jesus, I can only imagine what she must have gone through. Scooter was none the wiser though, all just business as usual for him. Jen said that all that kept going through her mind in those split seconds was *I can't let anything happen to this dog, Mark will die*. I love her.
Anyway, I've been listening to the new Lou Barlow CD this past week. It's called "EMOH" and it's coming out pretty soon on Merge. He was nice enough to send me a couple of copies. I was lucky enough to play on a song that's on it. Regardless of my playing on it and us being such good friends I can objectively say that it is a wonderful record. One of the best I've heard this year. It's rich, smart and beautiful. The 4th song on it makes me so jealous that I almost don't want to write songs anymore. Since it doesn't come out until 2005 I guess I can't include it on my best of list for 2004. Not that you really give a shit; nor should you, but here's a list of my favorite things of 2004:
Music:
1)Spouse - are you gonna kiss or wave goodbye?
2)Iron and Wine - our endless numbered days
3)Elliott Smith - from a basement on a hill
4)Tears For Fears - everybody loves a happy ending
5)Killswitch Engage - the end of heartache
Movies:
1)Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
2)Big Fish
3)The Village
4)Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events
5)Fahrenheit 911
Is the 2004 World Series DVD considered a movie? If it is then it's my favorite movie of all time. Happy new year to all.

No comments: