Tuesday, December 21, 2004

Ron Passerello

I'm so happy. I wrote a song yesterday. First time in months. I worked at the Brass Cat at night and had a good time regardless of the stunning loss by the Pats. Have to admit to you all, I'm a born and raised New York Giants fan so I wasn't really in the "stunned" category since I don't really care. My dear old friend Ron Passerello came by and spent the night at the bar. He crashed with us (Jen and I) overnight and got to hear my new record for the first time, and meet our lovely boy Scooter (our 40 pound beagle). Ron is one of the sweetest people on Earth. I can truly say that of all the people that I've ever met Ronnie is completely at peace with himself more so than anyone I know. He has been since I've known him, which dates back to sometime in 1987. He moved to Massachusetts from Panama that year. He spoke broken English but spoke volumes of life. Hands down, the most talented artist (drawing/painting) that I've EVER seen. Absolutely mindblowing work. He recently moved back to his parents in Maine. He had a 5 or 6 year stint in San Francisco. I guess the booze really caught up with him so he quit and moved back east. I can really relate. I haven't had a drop of booze in almost 3 years. We shared a million drunken evenings over the course of the time we hung out. We lived together (with 2 other guys too) from 1994-1996. Complete chaos. Walking to the Hotel Westfield in the snow, waking up our friend Al on the roof (he couldn't find an empty room at a party), listening to Ron read from the Bible while completely hammered, going to countless hardcore shows...shit, I could go on forever. He's in AA now and loving it. I chose not to go that root because of some political and ethical differences that I have with them but it's working for Ron. That's the beauty of this guy. I can sit and rattle off how much I hate AA to the kid and he just listens and then finishes by saying that he completely respects my opinions. Don't get me wrong, the guy will never be a prude. He's one of the funniest people on the face of the earth. I can't count the tears I've shed and stomach aches I've had from some moments with him. I'm really going to work hard at getting him some shows at art galleries down here. His stuff needs to be seen. He should be making a living off of his talents. If everyone had a chance to spend one night hanging with Ron there wouldn't be world peace or eternal joy but their lives would most certainly be better for it. I'll keep you abreast to any gallery shows he might have. Hopefully you could come see his work and say hello to him. You just might be better for it. I know I most certainly am.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Over on the West Coast we call him Ro. We all miss the freak'in guy.

Anonymous said...

It's good to hear Ro's doing OK. I've been worried about him since he left SF. Steven's right, we do miss the hell out of him.