Tuesday, December 28, 2004

Killing Nazi's on Christmas

I love Christmas. I really do. I love my family and my friends so why shouldn't I? I love giving gifts to people. I really do. I would love to be finacially fit enough to buy things for those I love everyday. Anyway, just thought I'd get that out of the way.
My first Christmas present was a couple of days before when the Sox resigned Varitek to a 4 year deal. Excellent. Wade Miller, Matt Clement, Edgar Renteria, David Wells, Matt Mantei, John Halama...it's been a great off-season for the Sox Nation. Sadly, since my heroes finally won the world series I feel a little less enclined to give a shit. I waited my whole life to see them win it and when they did it was cathartic and wrenching and lovely. Everything I thought it would be. I cried in my father's arms as Minky caught the flip from Foulke. I wouldn't change a moment of it. Down 0-3 to the Yanks...unreal. What a story to forever tell.
Now, that being said, I think I'm pretty much all set with really caring about professional sports as deeply as I have in the past. It's not because I don't know what to do with myself now that the Sox have won it, that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. It's because of the sad reality of pro athletes giving about as much a shit about the team/city that they play for as you care about what color your pencil is. Tactless mercinaries they are. Just look at how many folks won't be there to get their rings on opening day 2005. No Pedro, Lowe, Cabrerra, Kapler, Roberts and most likely Reese and Minky. Sad. Sick. All because of money. Oh well, guess that will free up more time to do the things I really should, and want, to do.
Sorry about the Sox tangent, that just happens to me and I can't stop. Christmas was great. I got Jen a keyboard that she seems very happy with. She has the longest, thinnest most beautiful fingers...it's like they're built for playing piano. Or being a hand model. But that just sounds aggravating. Scooter got a million toys and treats and at the end of his long, well traveled day just collapsed on the couch and snored like a drunk. I got my parents a DVD player and a bunch of DVD's. My Mom is psyched because it also shows CD-roms that have pictures. My brother sent a bunch of photos from his new home in Phoenix, AZ. The only sad, strange part of the day was that my brother wasn't there. I got a thumb piano and the new Stephen King book about the Sox 2004 season. I also got a video game for our playstation 2 ( I usually only play sports games) called Call of Duty. I don't know when World War 2 got so hip but apparantly it has. Gotta say, I take great joy in killing Nazi's on Christmas night.

No comments: