Thursday, February 24, 2005

Open letter to Stewart O'Nan


Theodore Samuel Williams Posted by Hello

For all of those who don't know, the Red Sox won the world series this year. You might have heard about it. Unless you live under a rock, or in New York...which is inherently the same thing. A book entitled "Faithful" was released shortly after the championship. It was written by Stephen King and Stewart O'Nan. It's a really boring read. Even for a diehard fan like me. For example, I don't need to relive every at-bat of every game. I was there. I saw them too. I most certainly don't need to have 1 of the 4 men (My father, Miles Davis, Ted Williams, Jackie Robinson in case you were wondering) pulled from grace. I wrote this letter to Stewart O'Nan. I could really care less what he thinks of me. I just wanted him to know what Ted Williams meant to me.

Mr. O'Nan,
First of all, congratulations. Your book "Faithful" has topped the best sellers list all over New England. I find it to be childlike fun and gleeful at best. A little self-serving and boring at its worst. What the hell do I know though? I'm just a diehard fan like you. What a year, huh? What a year.
That being said, I have a major bone to pick with you about your snippet on the Ted Williams statue that stands outside of Fenway Park. Let me first say that Ted Williams is a personal hero of mine, so I might be a little punchy about the subject. I refer you to page 57:
It's uninspired and uninspiring, a tall man stooping to set his oversized cap on a little bronze kid's head. It's not that Ted didn't love kids (his work with the Jimmy Fund is a great legacy), it's just that I expected something more dynamic for the greatest hitter that ever lived...This Williams is static and dull and carries none of the kid's personality. He could be any Norman Rockwell shmoo making nice with the little tyke. page 57 of FAITHFUL (Stewart O'Nan/Stephen King)
I am sickened by these comments. I happen to completely disagree with you. When I saw the statue for the first time I was moved to tears. Have you read anything of William's life? If you haven't I recommend you start with "Hitter". You're a writer and a life long Sox fan, you must have read it. Right? I assume that you know all about his time as a fighter pilot in both WW2 and Korea. You know that he was shot down in Korea, barely escaping with his life. You must know of his dedication to his own children. Granted, he might have had trouble in the beginning but he soon made himself into the man that we all read about. You mention his work with the Jimmy Fund. You know of his greatness as a hitter and icon in Boston sports. You know of his famous speech at his Hall of Fame induction where he pleaded the members of Baseball's hierarchy to right the wrong of Shoeless Joe Jackson and more importantly for his yearning to have them induct the many players from the Negro Leagues who had long been overlooked by the Hall. He was the first to make that public call, in 1960. Well before the civil rights movement. You know of his deep passion for fishing. You know of his volatile relationship with the press. You know that he never tipped his cap to the fans, you might also know that he spit at them during one game. You know that he deeply regreted this for the rest of his life. Justifing it by saying that it was the press that he disliked and not the fans. You saw him honored at the 1999 All-star game at Fenway. You saw him wipe the tears from his eyes. You know that he thought that Willie Mays was the greatest player to ever play the game. Let me tell you a few things that you might not have known.
He had a dog late in life. Here's a personal note about that from Ted himself.
...Slugger, my dalmation, my friend. He's gone now. We tried our damnedest to keep him around, gave him the best food, tried everything. But it was finally his time. It hurts like hell to think of him. God, I miss that little fellow.
He had a dear friend named Tricia Miranti. She'd been in a wheelchair from age 5. They met when he started doing rehab for his second stroke in 1994.
...We've made some progress together, shared some laughs, had some good times. I'm glad I've had the chance to get to know her. A terrific person. A fighter. She's in college now. I'm proud of that, proud of her.
Most importantly, in 1999 Ted had a reunion with Einer Gustafson. The original "Jimmy" in the Jimmy Fund.
...There's been alot of Jimmys since. I wish none of them ever had to be Jimmys, dammit, but I'm glad we've done what we could to help. Geez, I wish we could have done more!
I hope you can understand why I feel you're out of line with your comments about that statue. I find it to be private and stunning. Strong and willing. A picture perfect moment of American silence. Speaking the loudest of words and emotions with the simplest of offerings. I see ALL of Ted Williams in that statue. I wish you did. I wish you weren't so caught up in basehits. You might be able to see a whole lot more in life.
Regards,
Mark Schwaber

No comments: